STUDENT ATHLETE FIREARM EDUCATION (SAFE) CERTIFICATION
The country’s first and ONLY youth shooting sports certification specific to trap and skeet shooting!
Endorsed by The USA High School Clay Target League. Never before have student athletes grades 6-12 had the opportunity to become firearm safety certified in trap and skeet shooting.. The Student Athlete Firearm Education (SAFE) Certification program offered by the USA High School Clay Target League provides an in-depth, interactive and fun learning environment for firearm safety and clay target shooting procedures.
How the League’s SAFE Certification raises the bar for youth shooting sports!
While most state issued hunter safety programs focus heavily on hunting, the League’s SAFE certification is 100% relevant to firearm safety and education as it pertains to the shooting range.
Additional benefits include:
- Affordable –comparable to other hunter education classes
- Accessible – available online to everyone with a laptop or computer
- Comprehensive – 18 informative lessons taking less than4 hours to complete
- Fun – animated graphics, sound, and interactive learning make it entertaining
- Convenient – progress can be saved at anytime to work around busy schedules
- Relevant – it’s all about clay target shooting sports and firearm safety!
- Consistent – Consistent teachings regardless of what state you live in
- Verified – state high school clay target team coaches help complete the SAFE Range Certification at a shooting range
Firearm Safety Certification Requirements
All student athletes participating in a state high school clay target league are required to complete and submit certificates for either one of two League-approved firearm safety certification programs – a state-approved hunter education certificate OR the League’s SAFE certificate. Teams should verify the firearm safety training certification requirements with the shooting range where they will be conducting League events. For complete information visit the League’s website and find firearm safety certification under the rules tab.
The SAFE Certification requires the successful completion of the online AND shooting range certification programs to earn the SAFE Certificate.
- Step 1: Complete the SAFE Online Certification program before the athlete registration deadline. To receive access to the SAFE Online Certification, a website link and password is sent when the coach emails the athlete registration invitation to athletes/parents. Upon completion of the online course, the student athlete will receive a confirmation email and PDF certificate.
- Step 2: Complete the SAFE Range Certification before the Reserve Week begins. The SAFE Range Certification is conducted at the shooting range and coordinated by a CLASS Certified Coach. Students will participate in the SAFE range day conducted by a CLASS certified coach on the team. The 1-2 hour shooting range training will include firearm safety, shooting sport procedures, shooting at clay targets, and range safety requirements. The Instructors must have completed the League’s Coach Leadership And Safety Support (CLASS) Certification program. Instructors will be provided a SAFE Range Certification guide from the League to assist with certification.
- Step 3: Update SAFE Online and Range Day Completion Dates in TMS. The SAFE Online and Range Certification completion dates are required to be entered into TMS before the Reserve Week begins. This must be done by the head coach by going into the Team Roster section of TMS and updating the student athlete’s registration data. A student athlete that is missing a valid League-approved firearm safety certificate will be removed from the team’s roster when the Reserve Week begins. Coaches can review the athlete’s League-approved firearm safety certificate information and status in their Student Athlete Report.
- All student athletes that complete the SAFE Certification receive an official iron-on certificate patch from the USA High School Clay Target League.